Monday, March 28, 2011

An (Almost) Effortless Dinner Party


Over the weekend, N and I went to his parents house for dinner - or rather, went to his parents house with a dinner that I had made from start to finish. It was my promise to his Mom, a full dinner made by moi, as a 'thank you' for taking us on that wonderful trip to the Dominican Republic. Although one, singular dinner is nowhere near enough 'thanks' for such a luxuriant, amazing trip - it was the only thing I could afford to do, and I know that she greatly appreciates it when someone takes over cooking for her, as anyone that cooks day in and day out does!

Not a ton of recipes here - just a few pictures and a run-down of our great meal!
Our feast consisted of....

Caprese Salad
Herb Rubbed Beef Tenderloin
Roasted Spring Vegetables (Potatoes, Turnips, Carrots & Pearl Onions)
Garlic Bread

It was quite an undertaking, but nowhere near as complicated as I thought it would be. I picked simple, fresh, great ingredients to use in simple, fresh, great recipes and everything came together quickly, and wonderfully. From this little 'dinner party', I learned that there is absolutely no need to spend laborious hours and hours making time consuming recipes such as Boeuf Bourguignon, Canapes, or even Lasagna! Nor is there any need to spend large sums of money to put together a great meal. I think creating a fantastic dinner party menu basically comes down to these components:
1) Basing most of the meal around fresh, great looking produce.
2) Using whatever cut of meat is on sale at the time and dressing it up with simple add-ons.
and,
3) Having a few very tasty, ultra simple dessert recipes on hand, such as this Eclair Cake recipe.

With these things in mind, I truly think its very hard to go wrong!

(Yes, its not the most...artfully arranged plate...it was N's)


Eclair Cake - so easy, and SO good!









No comments:

Post a Comment