Monday, March 28, 2011

Shrimp 'n Grits, Y'all!



Y'all ready for a nice, stick to yo' ribs, 8,243 calorie, southern inspired recipe?!
I sure am!
Well, I was a few nights ago, that is. Smoky Shrimp and Cheesy Grits, no doubt about it, is as southern as southern can git.

I like to pretend I'm from down South. Even though I'm way, way up north, in just about the coldest state in the country, I always hoped/wished/prayed that I was raised an adorable southern belle, complete with lots of old money in the family, a wrap-around porch surrounding my huge plantation-style house, and a proper debutante ball to present me to society at 16 years of age. Oh, and a score of suitors with names like Dolliver, Pratt and Hunter.

Alas, I'm a Michigander, born and bred, and thats the way it is. But, I can make southern inspired recipes to my hearts content, and thats what I'll continue to do as I daydream about sipping lemonade on my rocking swing on my front porch while handsome, floppy haired Pratt rubs my feet....

Smoky Shrimp and Cheesy Grits are ... good. Very, very good. Filled to the brim with fat, cheese, and lots of love - my very favorite things. I followed the recipe more or less - I did add um, a few tablespoons more butter then it called for - I really wanted to go all out for this recipe, and I like having a death wish. But, I did decrease a tiny bit of the bacon grease used in the finished product...so it all balanced out, I suppose.

(Mmmmmm...lots and lots of bacon (and some shrimp)......)


***A few notes about the recipe:
The grits and the shrimp cook very quickly once you get going. So, prep everything before you start cooking! Have the shrimp peeled and deveined, have all the dry/wet ingredients measured out and in bowls, and in my opinion - start cooking the bacon before you start the grits, even though the recipe doesn't state this. It takes longer to cook the bacon then the recipe says, and the grits take a very short amount of time - so, unless you want your grits sitting on the back burner for, eh 20 minutes...start cooking the bacon about 7-8 minutes before you start the grits. With all the prep work done, this recipe is VERY easy and ready to serve within 20 minutes. (That's with my new bacon time table).



No comments:

Post a Comment