Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh blueberries, I heart thee, like, a whole lot.


Because my blog is named after the fruit, I feel compelled to post every single recipe I make that involves blueberries. I mean, wouldn't you? It just makes sense.

Yesterday I decided that I was going to make some sort of treat for my Mom to take into work with her (yes, slight role reversal there - I send her off to face her day with home baked treats, harharhar). She's got coworkers that are definitely, no question about it, my favorite type of people...foodies. So, I figured they would appreciate a nice, homemade cake or something of that sort. I consorted with my favorite female blogger, Pioneer Woman, and it was decided that Blueberry Crumb Cake would be the treat du jour.

So, I made the cake. I baked the cake. I started smelling the absolutely delicious berry-laden aroma's wafting from the kitchen. I pulled the cake out, took one look at it and decided (in all of my very selfish glory) that I was like, totally keeping this cake. I rationalized that anything that took that long to put together and to smell THAT GOOD unfortunately could not be shared with 12 other people. It was to be mineminemine (okay, and my Mom's, Dad's, and N's), and thats just the way it was going to be.

So, feeling slightly guilty and ashamed, here I sit with half of my Blueberry Crumb Cake (I did begrudgingly give my Mom half the cake) knowing that my guilt will get the best of me in the next few hours, and I will be cranking out another Blueberry Crumb Cake by evening time. I'm really much too nice sometimes.



Blueberry Crumb Cake

Ingredients

  • ½ sticks Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon (additional) Butter
  • ¾ cups Sugar
  • 1 whole Egg
  • ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 2-¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • ¾ cups Whole Milk
  • 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
  • _____
  • FOR THE TOPPING:
  • ¾ sticks Butter
  • ½ cups Sugar
  • ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
  • ½ cups Flour
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, baking powder, and a salt. Stir and set aside.

Cream 1/2 stick plus 1 tablespoon butter with cinnamon and sugar. Add egg and mix until combined. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until totally incorporated. Do not overbeat. Stir in blueberries until evenly distributed.

Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Pour in batter.

In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients and cut together using two knives or a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.

Bake cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into squares and serve with softened butter.




No comments:

Post a Comment