Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Charlie Brown and the Great Corned Beef (and a Stockpot).


Well, all - its that time of year again - time to join the masses at the grocery store huddled around the corned beef briskets, claim your prize, and cook up your official St. Patty's Day Feast. Or maybe that's just how food-obsessed people such as I view the middle of March.

I've cooked Corned Beef before, lots of times. But, I cook it in my slow cooker, which according to my Mother, not the traditional/official way you're supposed to cook it. So this year, I decided to give in and cook my beefy baby up on the stovetop.

Problem is, I don't have a super large stockpot. (I know, can you believe it? Its true.) I've been meaning to purchase one, but I've just been so loyal to my cutesy lil' crockpot, that I never got around to it. So today, after close to an hour and a half of googling prices/models/makes/pro's/con's/everythingyoucanpossiblywanttoknowaboutstockpots, I decided on one at Bed Bath and Beyond. Two hours after that (BB&B is conveniently RIGHT next to Home Goods, which meant that a good 85 minutes of my life was wasted wandering up and down the aisles of Home Goods, oogling every single item and wishing that one day I will have more then $50 in my bank account to spend on frivolous kitchenware) - I had acquired a GIGANTIC stainless steel stockpot. Why I felt so compelled to get the gigantic 12 quart'r, I'm not quite sure. Maybe it means something. Like, I'm going to be hosting numerous Crab Boil parties in the summer or something.

Anyways, 3.45 hours after that I had successfully boiled up a whole St. Patrick's Day feast - 3.5 pounds of fresh Corned Beef from Wigley's Market downtown, loads of potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. It was a beautiful thing. I honestly don't know why I didn't purchase that big-as-a-T-Rex stockpot sooner - the corned beef turned out MUCH better then it has when I use my slow cooker. (Why this is, I have no clue, please don't ask). I also liked that I didn't have to spend 10 minutes punching and squeezing and prodding my corned beef so it would fit into the pot, like I did with my 3 quart slow cooker. Don't ask about that either though.



Corned Beef Dinner Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 -4 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
  • 2 bay leafs
  • 4 -5 potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
  • 1/2 head cabbage, cut into small wedges

Directions

  1. Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
  2. Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender (About 20-25 minutes). Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
  3. Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.












2 comments:

  1. I have always cooked my corned beef in my crockpot too! I'm going to have to try it in a big pot but going to have to buy one of those too! Love corned beef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! I <3 the idea about the 'crabby' parties too! I hope you can invite me.... haha.

    ReplyDelete