Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Lil' Bit of Stir-Fry In My Life.


Was in an international-y mood last night (or something like that) and felt like whipping up some kind of fabulous stir-fry - decided to go with beef, and named my dish "Asian Marinated Beef Stir Fry With Carrots and Broccoli Over Beef Flavored Rice". I like to be literal, concise, and to the point when I name my dishes, what can I say.

I basically took like, three beef stir fry recipes, mashed them all together and created one, great supernova-like recipe. I used flat iron steak for this, but you can use flank steak (which in my opinion, is the best option), or top sirloin, or heck, whatever your little hearts desire. I just used flat iron because it was on sale....I swear it wasn't because the super cute meat dude said it was his favorite beef to use for stir-fry's.

Anyways, I marinated that huge slab o' beef in The World's Best Marinade. That, is no lie. This truly is The World's Best Marinade. I actually got it from my boyfriend's Mother's recipe files - one day I went over there and stole (I mean, copied) as many of her recipes as I possibly could - I know that N dearly loves lots of her recipes, and since he tends to be a rather.... finicky eater when it comes to some of the foods I make (aka: Food Snob), I will continue to steal (copy) as many of her recipes as I can - they are surefire, fall-back-on recipes that I know will always be eaten with gusto.

So, I marinated the meat for about 2 hours - you can do more, you can do less. The flavor of the marinade is super concentrated which is awesome - you don't have to marinate overnight, which is great if you're a 'spur of the moment' cook like I am, and only decide 2 hours before dinner what you're actually going to cook.

After the marination (what a great word, is it real?!), I sliced it up into thin strips (against the grain, remember!), cooked it up with carrots and broccoli, and a yummy hoisin-laden sauce. I threw it (okay, gently placed) it over some beef-flavored rice, and topped it all with chopped peanuts. Man, was it good! So, so, much better then your local Pings or Chengs - at least this way, you know what kind of meat you're eating, as well as every other ingredient that went into your stir-fry.


(See my work station? And yes, thats all the counter space I have to work with in my entire kitchen. How I survive...I truly don't know).



Yummy, finished dish!

So, if you're looking for a super stellar stir fry recipe... I present to you...


Asian Marinated Beef Stir Fry With Carrots and Broccoli Over Beef Flavored Rice!!!!

Beef
1 1/2lb marinated beef flank steak, or flat iron steak, or top sirloin, cut into thin slices against the grain


The World's Best Marinade
1/2 c. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Dry Sherry (or Red Wine Vinegar)
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed or minced

Sauce
1/3cup hoisin sauce
1/3cup water
1tablespoon cornstarch
1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Stir-Fry
2tablespoons vegetable oil
1small head broccoli, chopped into small pieces
4carrots, peeled and cut into long, thin strips
2tablespoons water


1) In bowl, mix marinade ingredients together, pour into large bag - marinate beef in bag for 1 - 3 hours, or overnight, cut beef into thin strips, set aside.
2) With wire whisk, mix sauce ingredients together in bowl, set aside.
3) Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet or wok for 1 minute, add beef. Stir fry beef for 2 - 4 minutes, until almost all pink is gone, transfer beef to clean bowl.
4) To the empty skillet/wok, add 1 - 2 Tbsp. oil, add vegetables - stir fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 2 Tbsp. water to skillet, cover, cook for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
5) Return beef to skillet, add sauce. Stir to coat mixture with sauce. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until sauce thickens and mixture is combined. Serve over hot rice and top w/ chopped peanuts.















No comments:

Post a Comment